By Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck
In 'A religion worthy Teaching', edited by way of Jon Payne and Sebastian Heck, an array of trustworthy pastor-scholars rejoice the Heidelberg Catechism on its 450th anniversary with a suite of essays on its dynamic heritage, wealthy theology, and fruit-bearing perform that might be an encouragement to pastors and laypersons alike.
Table of Contents:
Foreword: the Heidelberg Catechism: the key of its good fortune - Herman J. Selderhuis
Part 1: The heritage and historical past of the Heidelberg Catechism
1. The background and folks at the back of the Heidelberg Catechism - Lyle D. Bierma
2. The Heidelberg Catechism within the usa - D. G. Hart
Part 2: The Heidelberg Catechism and the technique of Grace
3. conserving Firmly to the Heidelberger: The Validity and Relevance of Catechism Preaching - Joel R. Beeke
4. Preaching the Catechism at the present time - Joel R. Beeke
5. “Washed from All My Sins”: The Doctrine of Baptism within the Heidelberg Catechism - Sebastian Heck
6. “As definitely As I See and Taste”: The Lord’s Supper and the Heidelberg Catechism – Jon D. Payne
Part three: Christian Doctrine and the Heidelberg Catechism
7. accumulated, safe, and Preserved: The Church within the Heidelberg Catechism - Michael S. Horton
8. Grace and Gratitude: Justification and Sanctification within the Heidelberg Catechism - Cornelis P. Venema
9. The Christology of the Heidelberg catechism - Mark Jones
10. “Prophet, health care professional Jesus”: the Son of God as “Our excessive Priest and instructor” within the Heidelberg Catechism - Victor E. d’Assonville
11. The Spirit-Filled Catechism: The Heidelberg Catechism and the Holy Spirit - Daniel R. Hyde
Part four: The Heidelberg Catechism As Catechetical device
12. The Heidelberg Catechism one of the Reformed Catechisms - W. Robert Godfrey
13. The Heidelberg Catechism: A Catechetical software - Willem Verboom
14. Scholasticism within the Heidelberg Catechism? - Willem van’t Spijker
“This is a superb number of articles, either sensible and scholarly. there's a lot the following to aid us comprehend the heritage, the theology, and the continued relevance of the Heidelberg Catechism. As we pontificate in the course of the Heidelberg in our church i'm going to definitely seek advice this ebook frequently. It brought on me to reconsider and back ‘Isn’t the Catechism remarkable!’ and, extra importantly, ‘Isn’t the gospel amazing!’” — Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at collage Reformed Church, Lansing, Michigan, and writer of the good news We virtually Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a sixteenth Century Catechism
“As a precis and interpretation of God’s note composed for and certified by way of the Reformed church buildings, the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has a distinct position within the lifetime of the church buildings. we must always be glad about 'A religion worthy Teaching', a great source that is helping us greater comprehend and use the catechism in our time.” — R. Scott Clark, professor of church historical past and old theology, Westminster Seminary California
Read or Download A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage PDF
Best church history books
Dietrich Bonhoeffer writes in a single of his final felony letters that he had "come to understand and comprehend a growing number of the profound this-worldliness of Christianity. " In Taking carry of the true, Barry Harvey engages in optimistic dialog with Bonhoeffer, contending that the "shallow and banal this-worldliness" of recent society is ordered to an important measure round the social applied sciences of faith, tradition, and race.
A strong perception into the old and cultural roles of the black church, the dilemmas it faces, and the roadmap for a moral course forward. Honorable point out, Theology and non secular stories PROSE Award If we're in a post-racial period, then what's the way forward for the Black Church? If the U.
Dealing with the uncertainty in their current existence and ministry, the yank and Canadian church buildings of mainline Protestantism are, for the main half, responding in a single of 2 methods. a few are easily opting for to disregard the method in their disestablishment. They proceed to hold on with their church existence as if not anything have been taking place, as if they have been nonetheless occupying a spot on the heart of society.
Relive via reminiscing and remembering, a Maine pastor's memories of boyhood reviews that become a minister's messages in outdated age. After 5 many years (Barry's first message was once preached in 1966), commute again in time with a lifelong Maineaic to his domestic position, the Blackstone home of Perham, Maine.
Additional resources for A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage
A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage by Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck