By Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar
- Discusses the lifetime of Socrates and key philosophical doctrines linked to him
- Covers the full variety of Socratic reviews from the traditional global to modern ecu philosophy
- Examines Socrates’ position within the greater philosophical traditions of the Hellenistic international, the Roman Empire, the Arabic global, the Renaissance, and modern Europe
- Addresses interdisciplinary topics similar to Socrates and Nietzsche, Socrates and psychoanalysis, and representations of Socrates in art
- Helps readers to appreciate the which means and value of Socrates around the ages
Read or Download A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
Examining Plato deals a concise and illuminating perception into the complexities and problems of the Platonic dialogues, offering a useful textual content for any pupil of Plato's philosophy. Taking as a kick off point the critique of writing within the Phaedrus -- the place Socrates argues e-book can't pick out its reader nor can it safeguard itself opposed to misinterpretation -- interpreting Plato deals strategies to the issues of examining the dialogues.
R. S. Bluck’s enticing quantity offers an available advent to the idea of Plato. within the first a part of the e-book the writer offers an account of the lifetime of the thinker, from Plato’s early years, via to the Academy, the 1st stopover at to Dionysius and the 3rd stopover at to Syracuse, and completing with an account of his ultimate years.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2009 im Fachbereich Philosophie - Philosophie der Antike, notice: 2,0, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg (Philosophisches Institut), Veranstaltung: Platon, Politeia, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Der wohl bekannteste Abschnitt der Politeia ist das Höhlengleichnis. Es ist in Dialogform zwischen Sokrates und Glaukon, Platons Bruder, geschrieben.
Sacred bushes are effortless to brush off as a simplistic, bizarre phenomenon, yet this e-book argues that during truth they brought on subtle theological pondering within the Roman international. not easy significant points of present scholarly structures of Roman faith, Ailsa Hunt rethinks what sacrality potential in Roman tradition, featuring an natural version which defies the present legalistic strategy.
Extra info for A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)
A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) by Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar